The South Kingsville Community Centre (SKCC) was formed in 1993 when a steering committee was set up by the City of Footscray. A grant from the Westgate Baptist Community enabled the employment of a Co-ordinator. Over the years, SKCC has developed and grown into a vibrant facility providing a range of services and programs for the community.
The building is owned by the City of Hobsons Bay. However, the Centre is managed by a volunteer Committee of Management, which comprises 12 members from the local community and groups based at the Centre.
The Committee of Management employs a CEO to implement its decisions and carry out day-to-day administrative and management tasks. The CEO is supported by an Administration/Finance Officer and Projects Officer and Childcare Co-ordinator.
The SKCC also employs support staff in the Childcare room, tutors & program staff and a cleaner. Volunteers are an integral part of the Community Centre – they provide support, expertise, companionship and a helping hand – and without their valuable assistance many tasks would be difficult to accomplish. Volunteers assist in programs, office tasks, the delivery of our term brochure and general maintenance. If you are interested in volunteering, please contact the CEO.
Recent renovations by the City of Hobsons Bay have provided the community with modern up-to-date facilities suitable for many different purposes. We have a large hall, conference area, dedicated information technology room and small meeting rooms available for hire.
Please contact the CEO for details regarding availability & cost.
The SKCC provides a range of services for people from birth to mature age, including maternal and child health, kindergarten, occasional childcare, playgroup, senior citizens activities, volunteer support for people who are frail or disabled, employment, social, educational and recreational programs, and information and referral services. The extensive facilities are available to community and commercial groups for functions and are well utilised for this purpose. Everyone is welcome to drop in at any time for an activity or class, lend a hand or just have a cuppa.
The core values of the South Kingsville Community Centre, as determined by the Committee of Management are to:
- Embrace the community
- Maintain a welcoming environment
- Maintain positive relationships
- Engage with the community
- Be compassionate in our approach to community needs
- Ensure all residents have equal access to services and programs
- Be relevant in terms of the programs and services we offer to the community
- Encourage community participation and growth
- Encourage the community to volunteer to take part in the planning and management of SKCC
- Continue to aspire to deliver a high quality service for the community
- Be innovative and flexible
- Make better use of space to match community needs
- Undertake a consultative and collaborative approach when there is a need for change
- Constantly review and evaluate existing SKCC policies and procedures
South Kingsville Community Centre receives core funding from the Department of Planning & Community Development and Hobsons Bay City Council. Recurrent program funding is also received from Adult Community and Further Education (ACFE) and Department of Human Services (DHS).